“God comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When others are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. So, when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your benefit … so that we can be an encouragement to you.” (2 Corinthians 1:4 & 6 emphasis added) [NLT]
Your Painful Experiences Will Not Be Wasted
IF You’ll Share These Four Things:
(Part 2a – last week’s message)
- Share how pain got your attention.
When sharing your pain …
- … be open about your feelings.
- … be humble about your faults.
- … be frank about your failures.
- … be honest about your frustrations.
- … be candid about your fears.
- Share what you’ve learned from your pain.
- I’ve learned to depend more on God.
- I’ve learned to trust and obey God’s word.
- I’ve learned that I need other people.
(Part 2b – today’s message)
- Share how God is bringing/has brought good out of your pain.
“We know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God.” (Romans 8:28)
“[You] intended it to harm me, but God intended it for good.” (Genesis 50:20)
- Share how Jesus gave you hope in your pain.
“Brothers and sisters, we want you to know about the trouble we suffered in Asia. We had great burdens there that were beyond our own strength. We even gave up hope of living. Truly, in our own hearts we believed we would die. But this happened so that we would not trust in ourselves but in God, who raises people from the dead. God saved us from great dangers of death, and he will continue to save us. We have put our HOPE in him, and he will save us again.” (2 Corinthians 1:8–10) [NCV]