May 23, 2020
Dear SVCC family and friends,
In light of President Trump's demand for governors to allow the full reopening of all houses of worship, we, the Elders of Sierra Vista Community Church, have given prayerful and practical consideration to this recommendation and feel it is not wise to reopen our church for services or activities at this time.
While we agree that churches are essential, we also agree to the responsibility that shepherds are to have their sheep's best interest in mind as they care for them. We can assure you that we are developing a plan and are taking every precaution and making all the necessary preparations to reopen with everyone's safety and well-being in mind!
We will be notifying you of a possible reopening date later in June. So, in the meantime, we ask that you please
• continue to worship together on-line (10 am every Sunday)
• be on the lookout for upcoming emails
• and remember to: PRAY (for guidance and protection); STAY (at home whenever possible); and OBEY (wear face masks in public and follow social distancing guidelines).
Your servants in Christ---
March 17, 2020
This is about “loving your neighbor as yourself”.
After much prayer, counsel from other professionals, and recommendations from the CDC, we, the Elders of Sierra Vista Community Church, have decided it is in the best interest of ALL of us to suspend our worship service, cancel all church activities, and reduce office hours until further notice. Instead, we can still remain connected as we will be offering our worship service live via streaming at our regular service time of 10:00 am every Sunday.
It’s up to those of us who aren’t necessarily at risk of being seriously affected by the coronavirus, to do whatever we can to help those who are vulnerable. This is the least we can do! Being circumspect in this season is how we can best love our neighbors as ourselves.
In the face of the uncertainty created by the coronavirus, here are a few things we need to remind ourselves about who we are as the Church:
We’re a family that faces things together.
We’re disciples who grow through trials.
We’re God’s servants who care for the hurting.
We’re witnesses who share the good news.
We’re worshippers who look to God.
---Megan Briggs (Churchleaders.com)
As followers of Jesus, we are called to be prudent, wise, compassionate and loving, caring about the physical, emotional and spiritual health and well-being of each other. By making this difficult decision, we hope this demonstrates these attributes of love to you.
Here is our immediate plan: (Subject to change, as needed.)
- Beginning today, March 17, 2020, all SVCC Worship services, classes and activities will be suspended until further notice. Our office will go to limited hours, but be closed to the public.
- Beginning this Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 10:00 am(our regular service hours) on-line streaming of our worship service will be available on Facebook live.
- The “Refresco”will continue to be provided weekly via email.
- Teaching the “Refresco”to be streamed on Facebook live. (Specifics TBA.)
- Member care will continue, as needed. Call the office (526-9535) with specific information regarding any needs. (Note: This may be handled differently on a case-by-case basis.)
- Individual ministry still needs to continue. Be available to your “oikos” (circle of influence), but be sensitive to the vulnerable and help as long as you don’t put yourself in danger.
- SVCC financial responsibilities will continue. Your financial support is still greatly needed and appreciated. Please continue giving by:
- US Postal Service (mail your check to: Sierra Vista Community Church 514 N. Telshor Blvd., Las Cruces, NM 88011)
- Online at: give.svccfamily.org
Holding on to Hope,
Pastor Ruben and Gayla