“I sought the Lord, and He answered me and delivered me from all my fears.” (Psalm 34:4)
“Perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment.” (1 John 4:18)
What do we usually do with our guilt?
- We bury it. “You will never succeed in life if you try to hide your sins.” (Proverbs 28:13) [GNT]
- We blame others. “Some people ruin themselves by their own stupid actions and then blame the Lord.” (Proverbs 19:3) [GNT]
- We beat ourselves up. “5 My wounds are foul and festering because of my foolishness. 6 I am bent over and brought low; all day long I go around in mourning. 7 For my loins are full of burning pain, and there is no health in my body. 8 I am faint and severely crushed; I groan because of the anguish of my heart.” (Psalm 38:5-8)
What should we do with our guilt?
- Admit it. “The one who conceals his sins will not prosper, but whoever confesses and renounces them will find mercy.” (Proverbs 28:13)
- Accept responsibility for it. “For I am conscious of my rebellion, and my sin is always before me.” (Psalm 51:3)
- Ask God to forgive it. “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9)
What does God do with our guilt?
- He forgives you instantly. “Let the wicked leave their way of life and change their way of thinking. Let them turn to the Lord, our God; he is merciful and quick to forgive.” (Isaiah 55:7) [GNT]
- He forgives you completely. “13 And when you were dead in trespasses and in the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive with Him and forgave us all our trespasses. 14 He erased the certificate of debt, with its obligations, that was against us and opposed to us, and has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the cross.” (Colossians 2:13-14)
- He forgives you repeatedly. “Therefore, He is always able to save those who come to God through Him, since He always lives to intercede for them.” (Hebrews 7:25)
- He forgives you freely. “For by the blood of Christ[a] we are set free, that is, our sins are forgiven. How great is the grace of God …” (Ephesians 1:7) [GNT]
Your Guilt And God’s Love Bank In Action:“1 Happy are those whose sins are forgiven, whose wrongs are pardoned. 2 Happy is the one whom the Lord does not accuse of doing wrong and who is free from all deceit.” (Psalm 32:1-2) [GNT]