“6 Go to the ant, you slacker! Observe its ways and become wise. 7 Without leader, administrator, or ruler, 8 it prepares its provisions in summer; it gathers its food during harvest. 9 How long will you stay in bed, you slacker? When will you get up from your sleep? 10 A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the arms to rest, 11 and your poverty will come like a robber, your need, like a bandit.” (Proverbs 6:6-11 )
You need to set personal goals because …
- … it’s a spiritual discipline. “For which of you, wanting to build a tower, doesn’t first sit down and calculate the cost to see if he has enough to complete it?” (Luke 14:28 )
- … they help you focus your energy. “Therefore I do not run like one who runs aimlessly or box like one beating the air.” (1 Corinthians 9:26 )
- … they stretch your faith. “Instead, you should say, “If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that.” (James 4:15 )
- … they build your character. “Not that I have already reached the goal or am already fully mature, but I make every effort to take hold of it because I also have been taken hold of by Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:12 )
- … they give you hope. “What strength do I have that I should continue to hope? What is my future, that I should be patient?” (Job 6:11 )
God blesses goals that…
- … bring Him glory!
“33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be provided for you. 34 Therefore don’t worry about tomorrow, because tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” (Matthew 6:33-34 )
- … are motivated by love.
“Your every action must be done with love.” (1 Corinthians 16:14 )
- … fulfill at least one of God’s purposes.
“ So I run with purpose in every step. I am not just shadow boxing.” (1 Corinthians 9:26 ) [NLT]
- … are set in faith.
“Now without faith it is impossible to please God, for the one who draws near to Him must believe that He exists and rewards those who seek Him.” (Hebrews 11:6 )
- … are reached with His help.
“5Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding; 6 think about Him in all your ways, and He will guide you on the right paths.” (Proverbs 3 : 5-6)