Preschool Lesson: Two by Two
Elementary Lesson: Maturity-Take Care of Yourself
Worship Team: Angela Cano, Cheryl Young, Rachael Torres, Miguel Torres
Sermon: Pastor Ruben Ortega
“34 But when the Pharisees heard that he had silenced the Sadducees with his reply, they met together to question him again. 35 One of them, an expert in religious law, tried to trap him with this question: 36 “Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the law of Moses?” 37 Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment.” (Matthew 22:34-38 ) [NLT]
Love always precedes obedience!
“If you love Me, you will keep My commands.” (John 14:15 )
My love for God should be the primary focus!
♥ What does this love look like?
- The word “you” makes this relationship personal.
“You must love the Lord your God …” (v. 37a)
- It means that God wants to be personally involved in every aspect of your life.
“You must love the Lord your God …” (v. 37b)
♥ What does this love involve? “You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.” (v. 37c)
- It involves “… all your heart.”
The heart is the seat of affection and of our devotion.
To love God with all your heart is to focus all of your attention and devotion on Him!
- It involves “… all your soul.”
Your soul is the seat of your emotions.
To love God with all our soul is to love God with every breath we take.
- It involves “… all your mind.”
To love God with all your mind is to have your thoughts stay on Him.
♥ How can you revive your love for God?
- Your heart: “God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit within me.” (Psalm 51:10 )
- Your soul/emotions: “A man who does not control his temper is like a city whose wall is broken down.” (Proverbs 25:28 )
- Your mind: “Test me, Lord, and try me; examine my heart and mind.” (Psalm 26:2 )
♥ The sum and substance of all that God wants from us is our love! ♥
“You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind … Love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matthew 22:37 & 39)