“7 It (love) bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all thing. 8 Love never ends.” [HCSB] “Love knows no limit to its endurance, no end to its trust, no fading of its hope, it can outlast anything!” [PT] (1 Cor. 13:7- 8)
Three Disciplines of Lasting Love:
- Develop disciplines that re-energize your body.
- Get plenty of rest. “In vain (it’s senseless) you get up early and stay up late, working hard to have enough food – yes, He gives sleep to the one He loves.” (Psalm 127:2 )
- Eat the right foods. “Your hands made me, give me understanding so that I can learn your commands.” (Psalm 119:73 )
- Exercise regularly.“19 Don’t you know that your own body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you, who you have from God? You are not your own, 20 for you were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God in your body.” (1 Corinthians 6:19-20 )
- Develop disciplines that recharge you emotionally.
- Spend time in solitude. “He (Jesus) said to them (disciples), “Come away by yourselves to a remote place and rest for a while.” For many people were coming and going, and they did not even have time to eat.” (Mark 6:31 )
- Spend time enjoying life. “… I have come so that they may have life and have it in abundance.” (John 10:10 )
- Spend time laughing. “I have spoken these things to you so that My joy may be in you and your joy may be complete.” (John 15:11 ) “A joyful heart is good medicine, but a broken spirit dries up the bones.” (Proverbs 17:22 )
- Develop disciplines that revive you spiritually.
- Daily alone time with God. “Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, sinners, and purify your hearts, double minded people!” (James 4:8 )
- Gathering with others. “… not staying away from our worship meetings, as some habitually do, but encouraging each other, and all the more as you see the day drawing near.” (Hebrews 10:25 )
- Singing praises and hymns of worship to the Lord. “But I will sing of Your strength and will joyfully proclaim Your faithful love in the morning. For you have been a stronghold for me, a refuge in my day of trouble.” (Psalm 59:16 ) “17b … I pray that you, being rooted and firmly established in love, 18 may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the length and width, height and depth of God’s love.” (Ephesians 3:17 b-18)