“TRUE FAITH IN ACTION”
(A Faith That Works When Life Doesn’t - Part 5)
July 19, 2020
Worship Leaders: Miguel Torres, Jim Carlile
Sermon: Pastor Ruben Ortega
YouVersion link: http://bible.com/events/25573395
Evidences of “True” Faith:
- True faith is concerned about what I do, not just what I say!
“What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him?” (James 2:14 )
- True faith is not just sympathy, but is moved to empathy.
- sympathy is feeling compassion, sorrow, or pity for the hardships that another person encounters.
- empathy is putting yourself in the place of another. It’s moving the compassion into action on behalf of another.
“ 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.” (James 2:15-17 )
- True faith is more than an idea I defend.
“But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.” (James 2:18 )
- True faith is more than believing certain facts.
“ 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! 20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless?” (James 2:19-20 )
- True faith is something seen in my own life.
“For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.” (James 2:26 )
Action Point: Examine/test yourself!
“Examine yourselves, to see whether you are in the faith. Test yourselves. Or do you not realize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you? —unless indeed you fail to meet the test!” (2 Corinthians 13:5 )
TRUE faith may say the wrong thing, but will never act the wrong way!