“MY FOREVER FAMILY, THE CHURCH”
(This Is Us – Part 1)
July 4, 2021
Worship Team: Angela Cano, Bethsaida Gomez, Rachael Torres, Miguel Torres, Jim Carlile
Sermon: Ruben Ortega
YouVersion link: http://bible.com/events/48725867
“And so I tell you, Peter: you are a rock, and on this rock foundation I will build my church, and not even death will ever be able to overcome it.” (Matthew 16:18 )
The Church is ...
- … God’s family on earth and in heaven.
“ 14 As I write this letter to you, I hope to come and see you soon. 15 But if I delay, this letter will let you know how we should conduct ourselves in God's household, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and support of the truth.” (1 Timothy 3:14-15 )
- … made up of saved and baptized believers/Christ followers.
Jesus: “Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.” (Mark 16:16 )
“So those who accepted his message were baptized, and that day about 3,000 people were added to them.” (Acts 2:41 )
- … committed to Jesus and each other.
“Instead, they gave themselves especially to the Lord, then to us by God’s will.” (2 Corinthians 8:5 )
“Show family affection to one another with brotherly love. Outdo one another in showing honor.” (Romans 12:10 )
“ 4 Now as we have many parts in one body, and all the parts do not have the same function, 5 in the same way we who are many are one body in Christ and individually members of one another.” (Romans 12:4-5 )
- … preparing for heaven and Christ’s return.
“... to the assembly of the firstborn whose names have been written in heaven, to God who is the Judge of all, to the spirits of righteous people made perfect ...” (Hebrews 12:23 )
The Church: The Benefits of Belonging to God’s Family
- I’m able to learn my true identity. “So then you are no longer foreigners and strangers, but fellow citizens with the saints, and members of God’s household ...” (Ephesians 2:19 )
- I’m supported. “21 The whole building, being put together by Him, grows into a holy sanctuary in the Lord. 22 You also are being built together for God’s dwelling in the Spirit.” (Ephesians 2:21-22 )
- I discover my unique value. “ 15 If the foot should say, “Because I’m not a hand, I don’t belong to the body,” in spite of this it still belongs to the body. 16 And if the ear should say, “Because I’m not an eye, I don’t belong to the body,” in spite of this it still belongs to the body.” (1 Corinthians 12:15-16 )
- I receive protection. “Shepherd God’s flock among you, not overseeing out of compulsion but freely, according to God’s will; not for the money but eagerly …” (1 Peter 5:2 )
- I become productive. “ 4 Remain in Me, and I in you. Just as a branch is unable to produce fruit by itself unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in Me. 5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. The one who remains in Me and I in him produces much fruit, because you can do nothing without Me.” (John 15:4-5 )