“MORE JESUS, LESS TOXIC RELIGION”
(You Make Me Crazy - Part 5)
March 14, 2021
Worship Team: Miguel Torres, Jim Carlile, Angela Cano, Cheryl Young, Rachael Torres
Sermon: Ruben Ortega
YouVersion link: http://bible.com/events/48581379
“But know this: Difficult times will come in the last days. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, boastful, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, ungrateful, unholy, unloving, irreconcilable, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, without love for what is good, traitors, reckless, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to the form of godliness but denying its power. Avoid these people!” (2 Timothy 3:1-5 )
Evidences of Toxic Faith:
“... having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people.” (2 Timothy 3:5 )
- Compulsive religious work.
- Presuming on God.
- Controlling spirit.
- Fanatical intolerance.
- Addiction to a religious high.
Toxic Faith Stems From …
- False teachers. “They tie up heavy loads that are hard to carry and put them on people’s shoulders, but they themselves aren’t willing to lift a finger to move them.” (Matthew 23:4 )
- Toxic churches. “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you took care of Me; I was in prison and you visited Me.’ “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or without clothes and clothe You? When did we see You sick, or in prison, and visit You?’ “And the King will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.” (Matthew 25:34-40 )
- Foolish unbiblical beliefs. “Be careful that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceit based on human tradition, based on the elemental forces of the world, and not based on Christ.” (Colossians 2:8 )
The Solution for toxic faith: JESUS!
“Christ has liberated us to be free. Stand firm then and don’t submit again to a yoke of slavery.” (Galatians 5:1 )
What Does A Healthy Faith Look Like?
“Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world.” (James 1:27 )
- It focuses on THE ONE true God.
- It’s loving.
- It’s personal and relational.
- It’s respectful of others.
- It’s community-oriented.
- It’s growing.
*All Bible references are from the HCSB unless otherwise noted.