“GOD’S WORD, AN ANCHOR IN TIMES OF STORMS”
(A Faith That Works When Life Doesn’t - Part 2)
June 28, 2020
Worship Leaders: Miguel Torres, Cheryl Young, Julie Hellman
Sermon: Pastor Ruben Ortega
YouVersion link: God's Word, An Anchor in Times of Storms
“My soul longs for your salvation; I hope in your word.” (Psalm 119:81 )
How Do I Anchor My Life To God’s Word?
- Regard God’s word as a gift to me!
“ 17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change. 18 Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.” (James 1:17-18 )
Five Truths About The Gift of God’s Word:
- It’s good. “Every good gift …” (James 1 :17a)
- It’s perfect. “... and every perfect gift …” (James 1 :17a)
- It’s true. “... the word of truth …” (James 1 :18a)
- It’s unchanging. “... there is not variation or shadow due to change …” (James 1 :17c)
- It’s life-giving. “Of his own will he brought us forth by the word of truth …” (James 1 :18b)
- Receive whatever God says.
“Therefore put away all filthiness and rampant wickedness and receive with meekness the implanted word, which is able to save your souls.” (James 1:21 )
- Research it and resign to do whatever it says.
“ 22 But be doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man who looks intently at his natural face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself and goes away and at once forgets what he was like. 25 But the one who looks into the perfect law, the law of liberty, and perseveres, being no hearer who forgets but a doer who acts, he will be blessed in his doing.” (James 1:22-25 )
- Be attentive to it. “... and not hearers only …” (James 1:22 a)
- Analyze “... he is like a man who looks intently …” (James 1 :23b) “But the one who looks into the perfect law …” (James 1 :25)
- Adopt it into your life. “... being no hearer who forgets …” (James 1 :25c)
- Act upon it. “... but a doer who acts …” (James 1 :25c)
“... and he (you) will be blessed in his (your) doing …” (James 1 :25d)