Icebreaker: What has been the hardest obstacle you’ve ever had to deal with? How did it turn out?
“But it (the ship) ran aground on a sandbank. The front of the ship struck firmly in the sand, and the rear was
being smashed by the force of the waters.” (Acts 27:41 a)
THIS IS ONLY A GUIDE.
OUR DESIRE IS THAT YOU WOULD USE THIS “GUIDE” TO LEAD YOU INTO DEEPER PERSONAL STUDY.
Life was hard for Michael right from the beginning. On the day he was born, an eager medical intern tried to rush his delivery by strapping a pair of forceps onto Michael’s tiny head and giving a yank. The intern pulled so hard that Michael suffered permanent nerve damage in his face causing his left eye and lip to droop and his speech to slur.
His parents divorced when he was young, and bullies tormented him because of his handicaps. But Michael found his place acting in school plays. He even vowed to become a movie star. But no one in Hollywood was willing to cast an actor with a partially paralyzed face. That is until he wrote and directed and starred in a movie about a washed-up boxer from Philly named Rocky. You see Michael’s full name is Michael Sylvester Gardenzio Stallone, and what started as a handicap eventually became his trademark.
All of us suffer setbacks that are not our fault, but just because you’re down doesn’t mean that you’re out. And God will use what you’re going through for good. (Rom 8:28 ) Consider the Apostle Paul in Acts 27 . He ended up shipwrecked because of the bad decision of others. But because he was there, God was able to use him to save the lives of all onboard. God can and will use what you’re going through today too.
- Would you rather deal with a setback that you caused, or one that was caused by someone else?
- When you make a bad choice is it usually because you listened to the ungodly, leaned on your own understanding, or followed the crowd?
- How do you seek God during a setback? What is the primary way that you hear from him?
- What is one thing you could do differently to help you hear from God during a setback?
- How often have you been guilty of causing someone else’s setback? How could you make it right?
- What do you think God is teaching you through your current setback? Is it helping you become closer to him?