GET ACQUAINTED: When you were a child, what did you want to become when you grew up? Did you become it?
SCRIPTURE: “28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. 29 For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers.” (Romans 8:28-29 )
Open your gathering with a prayer. This is only a guide.
Feel free to select the points you want to discuss and adapt them to your needs.
HOW DO I BECOME WHAT GOD CALLS ME TO BE?
Running Your Race to Become Like Christ
“Let us strip off anything that slows us down or holds us back, and especially those sins that wrap themselves so tightly around our feet and trip us up; and let us run with patience the particular race that God has set before us. We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish.” Hebrews 12:1-2 (LB)
- To become what God calls us to be, the first thing we need to do is simplify our lives. What is holding you back? Share with your Life Group as a way to move forward in your race.
- Keeping our eyes on Jesus is key to becoming like Him and thereby fulfilling our purpose in life. What does Hebrews 12:1-2 above say about how to de-clutter our lives and focus on Jesus?
- Describe to your Life Group your favorite spot where you like to meet with Jesus.
- “All athletes practice strict self-control. They do it to win a prize that will fade away, but we do it for an eternal prize. So, I run straight to the goal with purpose in every step. I am not like a boxer who misses his punches.” 1 Corinthians 9:25-26 (NLT) What characteristics do athletes develop in order to win a race? Explain how they would directly apply to believers.
- “I am sure that God, who began a good work within you, will continue his work until it is finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again.” Philippians 1:6 (NLT) What great truth is revealed in Philippians 1:6 ? Take a moment in your Life Group to magnify God, exalting His name for His saving grace in our lives.
Digging Deeper (optional questions)
“Jesus did not give up because of the cross! On the contrary, because of the joy that was waiting for him, he thought nothing of the disgrace of dying on the cross, and he is now seated at the right side of God's throne. Think of what he went through; how he put up with so much hatred from sinners! So do not let yourselves become discouraged and give up.” Hebrews 12:2-3 (TEV)
- When it gets hard, remember the reward. From the passage above discuss how to keep from becoming discouraged.
- What does it take to develop Christ-like character?
- How can your Life Group help one another become all that God is calling you to be? Make a quick list.
Prayer: Heavenly Father, we pray that if anyone in our Life Group does not know You as Savior that they would have the sense and courage to take that step. I pray that You would help us morph into Your image, show us the things that are holding us back and help us to lay them aside. Help us keep our eyes on the goal as we focus on You. And finally, Father, we realize we can’t do it on our own so help us seek help not only from You but from our brothers. Thank You for this amazing Life Group you have allowed me to be a part of. Bless us and help us to reach more people for You. Amen!