GET ACQUAINTED: What was your favorite game to play as a child? Why?
SCRIPTURE: “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.” (Psalm 23:1-3 a)
GET IT: Is there anything about Sunday’s message you would like to share? Did it leave you with any questions that need to be answered?
OBSERVATION: Life is full of decisions: What job should I take? What school should I attend? Which friends should I go out with? Who to marry? They can be stressful because they all have consequences. But God wants to lead us on the right paths using His word in the Bible as a roadmap and His Spirit as our personal guide. God’s will for us may seem hidden because we often look for the wrong things and let the wrong influences lead us. Here we will discuss how to stop being led by the world and start letting God lead us in the path of righteous – the right path.
Open your gathering with prayer. This is only a guide. Feel free to select the points you want to discuss and adapt them to your needs.
- “Don’t let anyone lead you the wrong way. Christ is righteous. So to be like Christ a person must do what is right.” (1 John 3:7 ) [NCV] Peer pressure can lead us the wrong way and cause us to miss God’s plan. Share a time when you felt peer pressure took precedence over letting God lead you, or a time when you rejected peer pressure and followed God. Describe the outcome.
- We must not follow friends who are not led by God, so why does God want us to have non-believers as friends? Isn’t this a contradiction?
- “You may feel you’re on the right road and still end up dead.” (Proverbs 14:12 ) [CEV] We can experience anger, depression, or panic. However, these feelings are temporary. What actions can we take to prevent ourselves from letting them guide us in the midst of an intense emotion?
- “We’ve all strayed away like sheep! We have left God’s paths to follow our own.” (Isaiah 543:6 ) [LB] How might your life goals or your daily routine change if you spent more time studying God’s Word or seeking the leading of God’s Spirit starting in the morning and continuing throughout the day?
- We know that God’s Will is found in His Word and His Will never contradicts His Word. What are some reasons that people may forget or choose not to search Scripture during difficult times?
- “Your word is a lamp to guide my feet and light for my path.” (Psalm 119:105 ) [NLT] Share a time when you prayed for direction and God answered unmistakably through your daily devotion or Scripture you heard in church, or through something you heard on the radio or from a fellow Christian.
Digging Deeper (optional questions)
- “Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world.” (Romans 12:2 ) [NLT] God does not want His people to follow the crowd. What is an example of following culture instead of following God’s Word or an example of loving the current culture but hating people?
- “For example, never sacrifice your son or daughter as a burnt offering. And do not let your people practice fortune-telling, or use sorcery, or interpret omens, or engage in witchcraft …” (Deuteronomy 18:10 ) [NLT] Why would people consult fortune tellers or witchcraft instead of relying on God and following His Word?
- “God does speak … even though people may not understand it.” (Job 13:14 ) [NCV] We must listen for God’s response, but we often do not want to wait. How do we “listen”? What is an example?